Thursday, May 23, 2013

Teh Tarik Kurang Manis

So I'm sitting at my usual mamak having breakfast, and as it is in most of my experience, my teh tarik kurang manis is manis as fuck. It started me thinking about all the reasons I've heard from others about why this might be -- that is, why you don't get your order the way you ordered it.

"Maybe their sense of what's manis is different from yours."

"It depends on the person making it."

"Maybe they didn't hear you."

"Maybe the guy is Kelantanese."

I've even heard a ridiculously stupid comment of:

"They only understand if you say 'kurangkan manis' because the guy making it is Indonesian."

Well, has anyone thought of what I've always thought from day one?

"Maybe they just don't give a fuck."

I mean, these guys aren't exactly friendly or dedicated to making sure you're satisfied. Just look at their faces and you'd agree. It's not like they're getting a tip for making your drinks less sweet. It's not like you're going to sue them cos you took in more sugar than you wanted. It's not like they feel the urge to pamper you.

No, they just don't fucking care.

I just ordered teh tarik kurang manis ten minutes ago, and the guy just gestured to the counter the "tarik" motion. How the fuck is that going to convey the "kurang manis" part of my order?? The answer is, it's not. Because this shit is like drinking condensed milk straight out of the can.

One time, my buddy and I both ordered teh tarik. One kurang manis, one biasa. The guy brings two teh tarik and we ask him which one is kurang manis. He looks at us blankly for a second and randomly points at one of them. Without looking!

Guess if this is kurang manis. Go ahead. I dare ya.

So, yeah, I'm convinced. The reason your TTKM is not necessarily KM is not because there's any kind of miscommunication, or a difference in taste buds. It's because the good folks working at the mamak stalls can't be bothered to give a shit about what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment